i need some advice please - I'm gutted

This area is for non-members of the club for asking questions, saying hello and general chat. Strictly no commercial advertising.
User avatar
SimonE
Visitor
Posts: 7252
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:37 am
Contact:

:D

I know its only fun until he sends an injunction :judge
banx22
Visitor
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 am
Car Details: S1 111s
Contact:

It is hopefully getting moved down monday or tuesday next week. It's not drivable so it has to come by flat bed. Then i need to get over there and pay it a visit.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations fellas. The car means an awful lot to me and i'm pretty precious about it.
Paul H
Visitor
Posts: 2912
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:25 am
Car Details: Yellow SubmarElise
Location: Varies
Contact:

It might not be the best time to mention it but there are a few jobs you might consider as extras whilst the clam is off:
New radiator
New radiator fan
Towing eye post
New (proper) horn
HID lights
New light brackets
Yorkshire: the right side of the Pennines
yasmar
Visitor
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:39 pm
Car Details: Stolen by the state.
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Paul H wrote:It might not be the best time to mention it but there are a few jobs you might consider as extras whilst the clam is off:
New radiator
New radiator fan
Towing eye post
New (proper) horn
HID lights
New light brackets

Good thinking....I had each one done individually everytime its been into the bodyshop :roll


:judge
:judge Almost sponsored by Ishy :pat and not forgetting the important contribution of Mrs :handbag :10p :conker
yasmar
Visitor
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:39 pm
Car Details: Stolen by the state.
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

PaulT wrote:
SimonE wrote:
yasmar wrote:Central is good locally or if you want a really first rate job Sinclairs (Essex Motorsport) in Romford.
:judge
Of all the bodyshops you have used to date ;) - which would you recommend? :D
Easy tiger, we've only got 5 gigs of hosting :lol
Get on with it then.....something to get your tooth into ;)


:judge
:judge Almost sponsored by Ishy :pat and not forgetting the important contribution of Mrs :handbag :10p :conker
User avatar
Dennis
Visitor
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

I would not bother with the radiator unless you are upgrading to an alli one.

The others are worth while and quite cheap :bravo.

If you do not go for HID's, Osram Nightbrakers are very good (I put these in our lasses full beam lights to match her HID's)
Cheers

Den
banx22
Visitor
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 am
Car Details: S1 111s
Contact:

I've got the HIDS already. Great Mod.

Towing eye and rad are on the list but I'm not to bothered about taking the clam off myself so I might have to wait until I've saved up the cash for the other bits.

If it is repairable then it is very likely to come out of Central better than when I had it in the first place! I'm going to see if I can get the hardtop resprayed and a new windscreen put in :-)
User avatar
Dennis
Visitor
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

You can fit the horn with the clam on (just pull back the o/s wheel arch liner and remove the front under panel) having said that a good one is only about £15 (form halfrauds), drivinglight brakets are about the same form elise shop etc.

If you fancy an upgrade you could go for the 111s driving light brakets and then just the cheese grater grill

Image (also shows the stainless towing bracket) :bravo

NB the grills are about £300 :roll

Re the hard top and windscrean, they will not be a problem and worth doing at the same time, I have used their screen fitting guy for years on my fleet vehicles (he also did my elise when it had the new front end)
Cheers

Den
User avatar
Dennis
Visitor
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

I popped up to Central and spotted yours, I didn't realise you already had an 111S so no worries re the grill etc (although you do need a new one).

From a quick look it does not look all that bad (mine was a lot worse), clam, headlight covers, driving light bracket and grill (I did not check the screan was that hit by the clam?)
Cheers

Den
banx22
Visitor
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 am
Car Details: S1 111s
Contact:

** update **

Central have removed the clam. I've spoken to the inspectors from the insurance company and they have asked central to provide a quote for repair. initial estimate is £5k!

Insurance inspector said that it should be repaired all day long at that.

I really hope so!
User avatar
dpollard
Visitor
Posts: 1980
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Clams will be more than half of the amount. New front clams are over £2700 ATM and even lotus don't have any - serious back order problem

Sounds like a wheel took a bit of the brunt so there might only be one side of the suspension and steering included in that cost. If it was a platic capped rad I would expect it to have stress fractures and need a replacement - but you won't know that until it had the hose replaced and brought upto pressure

If you've got away with £5k I would say it wasn't a particularly big'un

Good luck and hope all turns out okay

Let's all be careful out there folks !
Dave Pollard
User avatar
softlips
Visitor
Posts: 4841
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 pm
Car Details: Currently Lotus less
Location: Wath Upon Dearne, Rotherham
Contact:

May I be so bold to ask which pipe is burst? If it's the N/S upper one could I have the old one for the bleed screw?
User avatar
Ishy
Admin Team
Posts: 2437
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 11:16 pm
Car Details: Elise 111R..SC
Location: York
Contact:

pikey :lol
User avatar
softlips
Visitor
Posts: 4841
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 pm
Car Details: Currently Lotus less
Location: Wath Upon Dearne, Rotherham
Contact:

Ishy wrote:pikey :lol
:lol
User avatar
albutch
Visitor
Posts: 9585
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:43 pm
Car Details: Elise S2 111S and Excel SA
Location: Dunrobin
Contact:

:lol Salvage swooper
If it is still, take a photo of it. If it moves, take a photo of it.
Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests