Hi,
Was sent here by 'ad260s' from Pistonheads.
I'm in the process of selling my M3 and considering something different. I quite fancy an Elise but always feel cheeky using dealer facilities when I'll most likely buy private.
Would anybody mind showing me round their car? i'm 6'3" with bad knees so I need to check fitting out before anything else. I'd also quite like to hear about the pro's and con's of ownership, anything to look out for when buying. I keep hearing clamshell mentioned etc.
If anybody was willing it would be very much appreciated and of course I'd cover the cost of fuel if we do get chance to have a run out.
Please drop me a PM if you can help.
Many thanks
Rick.
p.s The Mrs has just told me there are two Elise's at Phillip Welch fancy that. Does anybody know these cars?
Any York members willing to demo an Elise?
- PaulT
- Admin Team
- Posts: 17438
- Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:32 am
- Car Details: 250 Cup
- Location: Near Normanton
- Contact:
Welcome to the forum!
Daaah, you've just missed our meeting last month where you'd have had everything to look at in one place! We're at The Buckles Inn on the A64 on the 4th Tuesday of every month (except December).
JCT600 pop along to our meets and I can't speak for them but usually Steve or Dan in sales are more than willing to take folk out on test drives. Let's face it, there's a chance of a sale and it's a ride out. I had my first test drive at a dealer and I bought elsewhere.
What are you looking at money-wise? Have you looked into the models and such yet?
Coming from an M3 you're in for a culture shock! They rattle, squeak and sometimes leak but if you want to smile every time you drive a car and never get bored after 10 years (I'm nearly at 10 years myself) then you're heading in the right direction.
Just had a look at those cars on the PW site
111S > http://www.philipwelch.co.uk/used-cars/ ... d-top-426/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Racetech > http://www.philipwelch.co.uk/used-cars/ ... tible-422/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know these cars, sorry. I'll tell you though that the red one's roof will be a darn site easier to put on than the yellow one's!
(short roof on the red one as per all 111S cars)
Daaah, you've just missed our meeting last month where you'd have had everything to look at in one place! We're at The Buckles Inn on the A64 on the 4th Tuesday of every month (except December).
JCT600 pop along to our meets and I can't speak for them but usually Steve or Dan in sales are more than willing to take folk out on test drives. Let's face it, there's a chance of a sale and it's a ride out. I had my first test drive at a dealer and I bought elsewhere.
What are you looking at money-wise? Have you looked into the models and such yet?
Coming from an M3 you're in for a culture shock! They rattle, squeak and sometimes leak but if you want to smile every time you drive a car and never get bored after 10 years (I'm nearly at 10 years myself) then you're heading in the right direction.
Just had a look at those cars on the PW site
111S > http://www.philipwelch.co.uk/used-cars/ ... d-top-426/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Racetech > http://www.philipwelch.co.uk/used-cars/ ... tible-422/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know these cars, sorry. I'll tell you though that the red one's roof will be a darn site easier to put on than the yellow one's!
- Rick101
- Paid up member
- Posts: 617
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 am
- Car Details: Orange Exige 350
- Location: York
- Contact:
Thanks for the reply. I'll try and get along to the next meet. 26 Aug?
Budget is around 14k but I do have flexibility for the right car.
My E46 M3 cost me £200 in deprecation and £600 in maintenance, inc pads and disks following a track day in 8 months of ownership.
I hear Elise prices are pretty solid and they are fairly reliable. If I can get similar running costs as the M I'll be happy.
Who is the go to Indy for Lotus? Not aware of anybody in York. Happy to travel couple of hours to get the best people working on my car.
Thanks.
Budget is around 14k but I do have flexibility for the right car.
My E46 M3 cost me £200 in deprecation and £600 in maintenance, inc pads and disks following a track day in 8 months of ownership.
I hear Elise prices are pretty solid and they are fairly reliable. If I can get similar running costs as the M I'll be happy.
Who is the go to Indy for Lotus? Not aware of anybody in York. Happy to travel couple of hours to get the best people working on my car.
Thanks.
- PaulT
- Admin Team
- Posts: 17438
- Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:32 am
- Car Details: 250 Cup
- Location: Near Normanton
- Contact:
26th Aug -
- definitely make this meeting if you're thinking about buying and haven't already taken the plunge. I won't be there but hopefully someone else will jump in here and introduce you around. Also, we have a proper meeting inside the pub, it's not just tyre-kicking (although that's also good).
Elises are pretty steady and you shouldn't lose much even if you buy a little high but keep it a while. My 111S bottomed out a while ago and has been slowly increasing in value. I don't think they'll head south again.
Running costs are, on the whole (with fingers X'd) pretty good. Pads, discs and whatnot are all readily available and not horrendous unless you're after top end. Lotus-wise, we have a number of specialist suppliers and they're all knowledgeable. Of the independents, I'm sure everyone has their own opinions but I've had good dealings with Phoenix Motorsports (Note to self: need to book in with them!) & Chris Foulds along with JCT the dealer. JCT600's technician Byron also pops on our forum in the members section and is happy to answer the odd question - more than a tad useful! We also have numerous tech bods within the club who do all their own work and they're really very nice people indeed (you know who you are!).
E46 - great car. The first time you outbrake one on track you'll have a permanent smile
Elises are pretty steady and you shouldn't lose much even if you buy a little high but keep it a while. My 111S bottomed out a while ago and has been slowly increasing in value. I don't think they'll head south again.
Running costs are, on the whole (with fingers X'd) pretty good. Pads, discs and whatnot are all readily available and not horrendous unless you're after top end. Lotus-wise, we have a number of specialist suppliers and they're all knowledgeable. Of the independents, I'm sure everyone has their own opinions but I've had good dealings with Phoenix Motorsports (Note to self: need to book in with them!) & Chris Foulds along with JCT the dealer. JCT600's technician Byron also pops on our forum in the members section and is happy to answer the odd question - more than a tad useful! We also have numerous tech bods within the club who do all their own work and they're really very nice people indeed (you know who you are!).
E46 - great car. The first time you outbrake one on track you'll have a permanent smile
- simonm
- Visitor
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm
- Car Details: 2018 Evora 400
- Location: Garforth Leeds
- Contact:
Rick,
I'm not too far from York over at Micklefield, more than happy for you to have a demo in my S2 SC
Cheers
Simon
I'm not too far from York over at Micklefield, more than happy for you to have a demo in my S2 SC
Cheers
Simon
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
Its the same when you are stupid
Its the same when you are stupid
Hi Rick,
If you're passing JCT600 Lotus in Leeds then I'd be happy to show you round a few cars and let you have a go in one, you could either PM me on here or give the dealership a ring and ask for Dan or Steve in Lotus Sales. Our number is 0113 2440600.
Happy to help.
Dan
If you're passing JCT600 Lotus in Leeds then I'd be happy to show you round a few cars and let you have a go in one, you could either PM me on here or give the dealership a ring and ask for Dan or Steve in Lotus Sales. Our number is 0113 2440600.
Happy to help.
Dan
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in,witchcraft happens and you go faster.
- Si_F
- Visitor
- Posts: 2224
- Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:24 pm
- Car Details: Back in a silver plastic car...
- Location: Soyland
- Contact:
Personally I'd leave folds to look after the older cars. He's a nice chap, but a few have had questionable experiences and large bills.Rick101 wrote:Foulds looks good and if I drop the car there I can call in at the wonderful station pubs at Huddersfield and Dewsbury on the way home. Sold
Edited to say I'm 6'4" and fit but it is snug. You just need to learn oh to get in and out which will take a little time.
Formerly known as S1mon 
- Rick101
- Paid up member
- Posts: 617
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 am
- Car Details: Orange Exige 350
- Location: York
- Contact:
Went over to see Simon's fantastic supercharged R today. Amazing car and a complete gent too.
Thanks again for the look round (and the ride). I had put a bottle of red in the boot to give as a thank you. Only realised I had forgotten to give you it when I arrived back home.
Hoping to get over to JCT in the next few days so i'll leave it on your doorstep when passing.
Cheers
Thanks again for the look round (and the ride). I had put a bottle of red in the boot to give as a thank you. Only realised I had forgotten to give you it when I arrived back home.
Hoping to get over to JCT in the next few days so i'll leave it on your doorstep when passing.
Cheers





