Page 2 of 2

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:21 pm
by softlips
Go with your gut feeling. Any doubts walk away, plenty for sale.

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:06 am
by Paul S
Did a search on MLOC and found the members name and a brief description of mods the car has (4-2-1 manifold, hurricane induction kit, B & C sports exhaust and sports cat).

He never posted on the forum and hasn't been on it for over a year though so not hopeful I'll get a reply from him before I need to make a decision in the morning.

Have to say having done more research and got more opinions the other Elise I saw with a service history gap is looking a better bet. It's had 4 owners so the gap could be explained by an owner doing servicing themselves, which makes the very good condition less of an anomaly.

This is all very tricky - as I've been told a few times, you don't buy a Lotus with your head!

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 am
by PaulT
4-2-1 is a good mod on a 111S and a sports cat is a fair chunk of money too. If you go for that car, make sure it passes its MOT with that cat in place otherwise you'll be wanting one of those at wallet-melting prices.

Have you tried posting an open question about the car on MLOC? The others on there might know the guy or the car.

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:48 am
by Paul S
Yeah I've asked about the member and the car. I did wonder about the MOT-being new to Lotuses things are beginning to stack up against one I don't fully understand or am confident about. Hard to walk away from what is probably a very good car but gut feeling is to let someone with more experience have it.

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 am
by softlips
Cats aren't very expensive for the K.

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am
by Paul S
Would you believe it - the previous owner called me this morning and is emailing me copies of all the paperwork he has! Cheers Nick from MLOC.

Just as I thought I'd made my decision!!

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am
by ad111s
I got a price a Larini sports cat for the k series yesterday, £440+vat :shock

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm
by softlips
ad111s wrote:I got a price a Larini sports cat for the k series yesterday, £440+vat :shock
£169+vat for std one from EP or around £40 ebay

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:29 pm
by PaulT
ad111s wrote:I got a price a Larini sports cat for the k series yesterday, £440+vat :shock
Big money but lovely noise. One of our members has a 4-2-1 (not sure what make) + larini club sport + larini cat and it's the best noise I've ever heard out of an Elise.

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:45 pm
by albutch
PaulT wrote: Big money but lovely noise. One of our members has a 4-2-1 (not sure what make)
If you're talking about my car, its a Janspeed.


Martin (softlips), a bit more than that for an S2.

Re: Service history opinions

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:22 pm
by AlanS
PaulT wrote: Big money but lovely noise. One of our members has a 4-2-1 (not sure what make) + larini club sport + larini cat and it's the best noise I've ever heard out of an Elise.
I had the full Larini system on my old S2 Elise including a decat. The noise was superb. You may recall however, that after last year's Abeville trip, I got rid as it was unbearable over any distance. :oldie