Page 3 of 5
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:30 pm
by M7EXG
Hey Mike
Give it another go and introduce yourself in the function room at around 9pm

, it's actually a very friendly club with non of that "my car's faster and better than your's" rubbish...............unlike the RSOC Club that i'm also in

Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:13 pm
by Europatc
Wow Im impressed, straight talking and well presented. It is refreshing even if its not what you want to hear to get it straight from the horse's mouth. To hear their experience as a new member. Reading his experience I think it would certainly put anyone contemplating coming to a meet off. I think that there are lessons to be learned from this posting. Credit to you El-ahrairah for having the b lls to post it and you argued your case well. I have seen your posting describing your car, doing runs out then having to go back home. You can judge your enthusiasm by your postings. As you stated from the colour of your car alone some people will have known it was your first meet.
all the best
Stuart

Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:20 pm
by El-ahrairah
I thank you for your kind words Stuart.
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:05 am
by Nyloc 1
Hi Mike, I'm Alan, not going to go over earlier ground too much here hopefully but just felt I should give a quick reply.
I'm sorry you didn't have an enjoyable evening, due to illness I didn't make the meeting but I do make a point of looking for new faces and 'pairing them up' with similar car owners to get them involved. If you'd have come into the meeting I'm sure you'd have got a friendly welcome. We aren't a cliquey club but please take on board the fact we have been going 17 years and people have made friends who they don't see very often and naturally want to chat to.
Maybe some of our members wouldn't think to approach new faces but no-one would purposely leave you out.
I hope you'll give it another go and we'll make you very welcome. Whatever your initial impression I'm sure you can see from the turnout we are an active successful club and not just a bunch of keyboard warriors heaven forbid.
We are well respected by Lotus themselves, Classic Team Lotus and several Lotus luminaries and many members travel considerable distances to the meetings.For a small club we have attracted a number of relatively high profile speakers over the years.
I'm sure we have the biggest monthly attendance of any Lotus club in the country so we must be doing something right.
We recognise not everyone is a 'clubby' person but if you want to enjoy driving your car with other Lotus enthusiasts, going to track days, one in France annually, car shows ( free tickets for a few shows cover your subscription!), benefitting from club member discounts or just chatting about Lotus stuff at meetings, I hope we see you again.
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:36 am
by Paul H
El-ahrairah wrote:People seemed grouped and circled to which we tried to stand near by and listen to conversation hoping that perhaps somebody would bring us into conversations. Didn't happen.
Why would it? When I'm standing at the bus stop talking to my mate I don't invite the rest of the queue for their opinions on where to go clubbing later.
Did you try a conversational opening gambit? I'd have gone with something like 'Hi, I'm Mike and this my first visit here do you know if any of the organisers are around?'.
If you think I'm trying to be sarcastic then well done for spotting that. But I'd like to stress that your solitary bad experience must be balanced by my own experience. Suffice to say I've been a member for 14 years now and have made some of the best friends of my life via the club.
Maybe a few more people would like to share their experiences of NYLOC here...
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:40 am
by Guiseley
Paul H wrote:Maybe a few more people would like to share their experiences of NYLOC here...
In case others are reading and are put off attending by this experience, then last Tuesday was my third meeting - and first attended solo. Have spent all three evenings chatting with fellow owners, most of which I won't remember the names of by the next month - but I'm the kind of person who will wander up and ask 'Which one's yours then', and away the conversation goes, nice and easy.
Regarding the Aubergine Elise - there was one at the previous meet in June, so nothing that would definately flag this as a new car - I chatted to that owner, young chap, but have forgotten his name - told you I wasn't very good with names, but I'll probably remember just after I hit 'submit'.
Shame your evening wasn't what you had hoped, but don't be afraid to say hello yourself - next time wear a hat so we know it's you.
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:22 pm
by RFM
Paul H wrote:El-ahrairah wrote:People seemed grouped and circled to which we tried to stand near by and listen to conversation hoping that perhaps somebody would bring us into conversations. Didn't happen.
Did you try a conversational opening gambit? I'd have gone with something like 'Hi, I'm Mike and this my first visit here do you know if any of the organisers are around?'.
Good advice! My first visit was on my own in 2011 and this opening gambit worked just fine

Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 pm
by El-ahrairah
Always appreciate the sarcasm. It's surely what I've come for. I tried to give an honest open opinion and suffice to say the gambit option didn't feel possible/likely to help, and please remember not just me felt this way, my dad had exactly the same experience and feelings. At least a couple of you have listened and understand the concerns raised by me being honest enough to post up my feelings. Hardly feel like returning for a second experience with sarcasm . Cheers.
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:05 pm
by RFM
El-ahrairah wrote:
I may attempt another meet but very much put off on first meet. I was hoping to show my car to a couple of people and see other cars and have a little banter.
Just "a little banter", that's all

Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:25 pm
by M7EXG
El-ahrairah wrote:Always appreciate the sarcasm. It's surely what I've come for. I tried to give an honest open opinion and suffice to say the gambit option didn't feel possible/likely to help, and please remember not just me felt this way, my dad had exactly the same experience and feelings. At least a couple of you have listened and understand the concerns raised by me being honest enough to post up my feelings. Hardly feel like returning for a second experience with sarcasm . Cheers.
That's your choice but you never made a direct approach to anyone and if you had, I know for sure that you would never have been snubbed, so you can't blame everyone else and not yourself.
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:58 pm
by El-ahrairah
I accept that I could have done something different myself as well. Yes I could have been more forthcoming and made more of a direct approach I acknowledge that. I have not suggested I was deliberately ignored, I wouldn't expect anyone to deliberately ignore.
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:24 am
by Matt R
I think the important point here is that you didn't actually come to a meeting.
The meeting is all the things you were looking for I believe.
It has a section where new people are sought out and asked where they live and what car they drive, how they found the club etc.
Discussion is made about things coming up and people organising those events are pointed out if present.
You're making comments about how the meeting should be, without having made it past the car park.
You're an active member of the forum and that's a great thing in itself. With time faces will be put to profiles and in time become friends
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:56 am
by El-ahrairah
Matt R wrote:I think the important point here is that you didn't actually come to a meeting.
The meeting is all the things you were looking for I believe.
It has a section where new people are sought out and asked where they live and what car they drive, how they found the club etc.
Discussion is made about things coming up and people organising those events are pointed out if present.
You're making comments about how the meeting should be, without having made it past the car park.
You're an active member of the forum and that's a great thing in itself. With time faces will be put to profiles and in time become friends
I agree and you're right I was looking for that. However I had no idea of an introduction option and when it would be (has it been advertised on main page)? And equally so, not sure how many people would wait a couple of hours to introduce themselves, I'd have thought doing so very early on would be very beneficial 'just my opinion'.
I feel non members should/could have an agenda given of what's expected of the evening and rough times for things to take place perhaps?
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:45 am
by Matt R
El-ahrairah wrote:I feel non members should/could have an agenda given of what's expected of the evening and rough times for things to take place perhaps?
Okay, I think this would be a good thing. The car park "tyre kick" is very much a preamble to the meeting itself. We used to have a simple one page website that gave an overview of NYLOC, the meeting and pointed you to this forum.
As someone without forum access, looking in so to speak, where do you think the best place for this information would be now ?
I could make it a sticky thread at the top of non-members chat ?
Re: Heading to the Buckles Inn for a scout around.
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:07 pm
by El-ahrairah
The main page with the picture of many people and cars at the bottom of that page is a little info with regards to 4th month Tuesday meets, perhaps on that same section a little bullet point list of evenings agendas.
Sticky thread option is also a very good idea I'd say.
As mentioned had we known about the introduction as an example, we'd have come a little before then to park up and look round, then not be waiting too long for an opportunity to introduce as a newcomer.
Regards
Mike