Page 1 of 1

Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:35 am
by rralston
Morning all :wavey

I'm getting very close to being a first time Lotus owner, although I've got a question about the car I'm after.

It's been owned by Lotus for the first year of it's life, and I was wondering if this means it has been tracked to death, or that the current dealer got it VAT exempt due to being a demostrator?

I had an offer on my Tuscan yesterday so I'll be looking to do a deal over the weekend :D

Thanks in advance!
Rich

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 am
by Coot
Could be a managers car thats well specced and driven nicely to and from work.
Even if its been a track slag it should have gone back for a bit of fettling before its sold on.
As long as theres a warranty and theres no stone chips on the front and it feels tight ( for a Lotus ) it should be fine!

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 am
by markmakak
Coot wrote:...and theres no stone chips on the front
Personally I wouldn't worry about a few stone chips - I'd say it's impossible to drive an elise / exige without picking any up on the road.

/2p

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 am
by rralston
Coot wrote:Could be a managers car thats well specced and driven nicely to and from work.
Even if its been a track slag it should have gone back for a bit of fettling before its sold on.
As long as theres a warranty and theres no stone chips on the front and it feels tight ( for a Lotus ) it should be fine!
:D What a great phrase for a track car!!! :)

That was my thoughts to be honest. Warrantee in place and the front was pretty clean actually.

Hmmm I feel a visit comming on!

Cheers for the help fellas :)
R

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 am
by softlips
Go for it! :bravo

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:30 am
by Coot
If its been used round Hethel or elsewhere it will have a peppered front.
The ex Lotus cars I've looked at in the past have been resprayed where needed and all niggles fixed.
If you are buying from a dealer then you certainly dont want to be buying someone elses stone chips.

Unless its mega miles go for it :)

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:32 am
by Rich E
Hi

Another NYLOC member (Si Walker) bought an ex Lotus S1 Exige. It too was very familiar with the Hethel track but it was very well looked after, even the slightest of niggles was corrected by the factory. I believe his had the paintwork sorted before he took delivery. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to give his :10p .

I was also lucky enough to drive his car before he sold it and it was that good that I chopped my S1 Elise in for an S1 Exige :up

My advice - get it bought :bravo

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:43 am
by rralston
Great stuff - test drive planned for later today :D

Cheers
Rich

Re: Newbie Exige Question

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:10 pm
by Simon
Rich E wrote:Hi

Another NYLOC member (Si Walker) bought an ex Lotus S1 Exige. It too was very familiar with the Hethel track but it was very well looked after, even the slightest of niggles was corrected by the factory. I believe his had the paintwork sorted before he took delivery. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to give his :10p .

I was also lucky enough to drive his car before he sold it and it was that good that I chopped my S1 Elise in for an S1 Exige :up

My advice - get it bought :bravo
Thats right it was an ex Lotus 'experience' car and it was in tip-top condition as it had been looked after by Lotus. Never had a problem with it.