Page 1 of 1
New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:32 pm
by Nomad9
Hi All,
Due to the sad loss of my father (Peter Townsend) I am soon to become the owner of a part restored Elan Plus 2 S130. Dad had spent many hours bringing the car from a sorry very sorry state to the point of a fully restored chassis, engine and running gear, but had only partly worked on the shell. I have been trying to collect together all the bits into on place but I'm not overly familiar with all components. I am a keen classic car enthusiast myself - mostly due to Dad - with a passion for Hillman Imps (no don't laugh!!) and I know what I'm doing with this wonderful little car. However, a Lotus and fibreglass is another story. My time and budget are going to be very limited, so I think I'm going to have to find a suitable business to finish the job. The car is currently in Cheshire and I live in North Yorkshire, so some where in between or thereabouts would be good. Any recommendations would be gratefully received. Dad still receives the Club Lotus News so I am guessing he is still a member - need to follow this up. It IS my intention to join up as Club member and local members are key to getting the full benefit of classic car ownership.
Regards - Graham
Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:10 pm
by Doug
Hi Graham,
Welcome here. Are you up to speed when the Nyloc meetings are ? The next one is next tuesday 24th Feb and any other 4th tuesday in the month except December. Not the last tuesday as some have 5 in the month.
So we have quite a few members who are familiar with the +2. They will gladly give you some advice as to what to expect. So do you have any idea as to how much a body resto job will cost ? How bad is it ? Are there any parts missing ?
I think in all honesty the car needs looking at to understand what has to be done. If you can get to a meeting then I am sure you will be able to get an understanding of what you need to do,
before dropping it off at a body shop.
Doug

Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:15 pm
by Martin L
Wooohoooo!
Another +2 Restoration
As Doug says, try to get yourself to a club meeting with questions .....
Several members know these cars well and some know everything there is to know about them, everything is available to fully rebuild them, as with any old car its down to time and available funds how far you go.
Pictures would be a good help to give us an idea of whats needed to get the old girl up and running.
Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 pm
by Nomad9
Hi Doug,
Thanks for the heads up about the NYLOC meetings and I hope to make it to one in the near future - might even bring my Imp along!! Just a bit busy for a few months. Appreciate that it is difficult to get a feel from pictures but here are a couple of shots. Dad has had a good go at repairing some areas and squaring things up. No idea about how much needs doing and how much it might cost. I think most of the bits are there but I've got to sort through the workshop so may find some more!!
Graham
Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:28 pm
by Nyloc 1
Hi Graham, thanks for getting in touch. I was wondering if your dad still had the car when your sister gave me the sad news about your dad. It'll be great to see you at our meetings. You may be aware that Nyloc and Club Lotus are separate clubs but several of us members are also in Club Lotus ( mainly the

amongst us)
For any early members' information, Peter and his wife Gilly were members back in the days when we were at The Chequers before they moved over to Stockport.
Alan.
Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:12 pm
by Nomad9
Hi Alan,
Yes, the car sat in Dad's garage for many years with him doing his best to progress it but old age caught up on him. Being a committed classic enthusiast myself it pained me to see it uncompleted. I am determined now to finish it off but my own knowledge of the Elan and budget will limit what I can do or how quickly I can get the job done.
I need to sort out Dad's Club Lotus membership, but I will be joining NYLOC very soon and I will do my best to come along to meetings.
Regards - Graham
Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 pm
by Mark H
Stephen M of SVR Paint is highly recommended: email
[email protected] or phone 07547 686662.
Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:45 pm
by Nomad9
Come across a few more pics. Car as Dad bought it. A couple of the chassis/engine etc. A couple of the engine bay.
Re: New Owner Needing Guidance
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:46 pm
by Martin L
That chassis and engine bay look like a lot of time and money has been thrown at the car , i think you owe it to Dad to carry on the good work and bring the old girl back to her best.
Much of the hard work is done, but still lots to keep you busy...............unless you want to give it to me !!!
My +2 is the reverse of yours with fairly good body and interior but needing an engine (ready to go in !) and the mechanicals recommisioning after standing in a garage for 14 years untouched.
We should have a little competition to see who gets on the road first
Place your bets............