seat belt harness and bar

Buy & sell with Nyloc'ers. Strictly no commercial advertising please (see forum use policy for details).
SEK
Smooth Operator
Car Details: Elise 111R SC

Hi all , looking to see if anyone has some seat belt harnesses and bar to fit an elise S2 that they no longer need. don't want to spend loads on them as I don't know if I will get on with them ok for day to day use or not.
thanks
Enjoying the lotus life :bravo :bravo :bravo
Ishy
Paid up member
Car Details: Elise 111R..SC

Think I've got an old harness you can try & will have a look for a bar as well I did have one floating about once....
Fonzey
Paid up member
Car Details: Lotus Exige S

Depending on what seats you have you may want to add a new seat to your shopping list too. Depending on what horror stories you believe you probably shouldn't run harnesses on the standard Elise seats (without the harness cutouts).
SEK
Smooth Operator

Fonzey wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 pm Depending on what seats you have you may want to add a new seat to your shopping list too. Depending on what horror stories you believe you probably shouldn't run harnesses on the standard Elise seats (without the harness cutouts).
Oh what stories have you heard , spent enough this year don't want to do seats too
Fonzey
Paid up member

Harnesses on the standard seats are likely to slip down either side of your body in an impact providing not much protection. The shoulder cut-outs in the "sports pack" seats are positioned to prevent this.

Some argue that going for a harness bar and harnesses with eyelets (rather than the lotus standard wrap arounds) will mitigate this, but others will argue that the standard seat "shoulders" are still too tall for optimal harness fitment.

Some people opt to put DIY cutouts in the standard seats (you can buy grommet trims for it to tidy it up) but people will argue that the standard seats have not been tested for this and you may just end up with a broken seat (and back?) in an accident.

Of course there are no documented stories of this actually causing issues for people that I'm aware of, but it's worth keeping in mind if you think that moving to harnesses will represent a step up in safety. I considered this long and hard in my Elise and decided it was safer to just stick with 3point belts and I installed a CGlock to help keep me in place on trackdays.
Ishy
Paid up member

Can't find my old bar right now I'm afraid but I do have a scruffy old harness you could try if you find yourself a bar..

Dave @ Seriously Lotus does some quick bolt in easy fit bars that are not expensive & still allow you to keep the inertia reels as well if that helps?
PaulT
Admin Team
Car Details: 250 Cup

Shaun, stop spending money on it... :lol
SeriouslyLotus
Advertiser

Fonzey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 am Harnesses on the standard seats are likely to slip down either side of your body in an impact providing not much protection. The shoulder cut-outs in the "sports pack" seats are positioned to prevent this.

Some argue that going for a harness bar and harnesses with eyelets (rather than the lotus standard wrap arounds) will mitigate this, but others will argue that the standard seat "shoulders" are still too tall for optimal harness fitment.

Some people opt to put DIY cutouts in the standard seats (you can buy grommet trims for it to tidy it up) but people will argue that the standard seats have not been tested for this and you may just end up with a broken seat (and back?) in an accident.

Of course there are no documented stories of this actually causing issues for people that I'm aware of, but it's worth keeping in mind if you think that moving to harnesses will represent a step up in safety. I considered this long and hard in my Elise and decided it was safer to just stick with 3point belts and I installed a CGlock to help keep me in place on trackdays.
Just read the manufacturers installation instructions and its VERY clear that Elise seats without harness holes are less than ideal. The belts site too high across your shoulders and touch a small percentage of what they are suppose to, also they can slip sideways due to the angle of the seat they pass over...............
Fonzey
Paid up member

SeriouslyLotus wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 pm
Fonzey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 am Harnesses on the standard seats are likely to slip down either side of your body in an impact providing not much protection. The shoulder cut-outs in the "sports pack" seats are positioned to prevent this.

Just read the manufacturers installation instructions and its VERY clear that Elise seats without harness holes are less than ideal. The belts site too high across your shoulders and touch a small percentage of what they are suppose to, also they can slip sideways due to the angle of the seat they pass over...............
:bravo
El-ahrairah
Paid up member
Car Details: Aspen White Exige S

SEK
Smooth Operator

Well thank you all for the advice that has helped me a lot and that's what I was looking for cheers all
moorbartat
Paid up member

Just my tu' penn'th on using four point harnesses with standard Elise 111s seats.
I've used my Elise on trackdays and although Lotus say that Elise seats are "less than ideal" , I have to say that I feel more much more secure and ultimately safer when using them than I did before they were fitted. Once pulled up tight I haven't experienced the shoulder belts slipping down either. I've tried the CG locking devises and they do make a big improvement to the ordinary seat belt. I agree that the Lotus racing seats do position the belts in a better position but I'm happy enough with the seats I have.
Ishy
Paid up member

Just a thought..... I've also got a pair of Carbon Fibre seats sat in the store room that would look great in your car :naughty
El-ahrairah
Paid up member
Car Details: Aspen White Exige S

Ishy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:26 pm Just a thought..... I've also got a pair of Carbon Fibre seats sat in the store room that would look great in your car :naughty
You're going to be known as the new 'Junks' on this forum Rich :bravo :lol

Just need to find a SC ECU for my dad's 111R conversion now :naughty
Goldwing1
Paid up member
Car Details: red Elise 111r supercharged

👍👍👍 yes please 👍👍👍
  • Information