Service history opinions

This area is for non-members of the club for asking questions, saying hello and general chat. Strictly no commercial advertising.
User avatar
softlips
Visitor
Posts: 4841
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 pm
Car Details: Currently Lotus less
Location: Wath Upon Dearne, Rotherham
Contact:

Go with your gut feeling. Any doubts walk away, plenty for sale.
Paul S
Visitor
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:13 pm
Car Details: Lotus Elise S2 111s
Contact:

Did a search on MLOC and found the members name and a brief description of mods the car has (4-2-1 manifold, hurricane induction kit, B & C sports exhaust and sports cat).

He never posted on the forum and hasn't been on it for over a year though so not hopeful I'll get a reply from him before I need to make a decision in the morning.

Have to say having done more research and got more opinions the other Elise I saw with a service history gap is looking a better bet. It's had 4 owners so the gap could be explained by an owner doing servicing themselves, which makes the very good condition less of an anomaly.

This is all very tricky - as I've been told a few times, you don't buy a Lotus with your head!
User avatar
PaulT
Admin Team
Posts: 17438
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:32 am
Car Details: 250 Cup
Location: Near Normanton
Contact:

4-2-1 is a good mod on a 111S and a sports cat is a fair chunk of money too. If you go for that car, make sure it passes its MOT with that cat in place otherwise you'll be wanting one of those at wallet-melting prices.

Have you tried posting an open question about the car on MLOC? The others on there might know the guy or the car.
Paul S
Visitor
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:13 pm
Car Details: Lotus Elise S2 111s
Contact:

Yeah I've asked about the member and the car. I did wonder about the MOT-being new to Lotuses things are beginning to stack up against one I don't fully understand or am confident about. Hard to walk away from what is probably a very good car but gut feeling is to let someone with more experience have it.
User avatar
softlips
Visitor
Posts: 4841
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 pm
Car Details: Currently Lotus less
Location: Wath Upon Dearne, Rotherham
Contact:

Cats aren't very expensive for the K.
Paul S
Visitor
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:13 pm
Car Details: Lotus Elise S2 111s
Contact:

Would you believe it - the previous owner called me this morning and is emailing me copies of all the paperwork he has! Cheers Nick from MLOC.

Just as I thought I'd made my decision!!
User avatar
ad111s
Visitor
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm
Car Details: Exige 350 Sport
Location: Seaham
Contact:

I got a price a Larini sports cat for the k series yesterday, £440+vat :shock
User avatar
softlips
Visitor
Posts: 4841
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 pm
Car Details: Currently Lotus less
Location: Wath Upon Dearne, Rotherham
Contact:

ad111s wrote:I got a price a Larini sports cat for the k series yesterday, £440+vat :shock
£169+vat for std one from EP or around £40 ebay
User avatar
PaulT
Admin Team
Posts: 17438
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:32 am
Car Details: 250 Cup
Location: Near Normanton
Contact:

ad111s wrote:I got a price a Larini sports cat for the k series yesterday, £440+vat :shock
Big money but lovely noise. One of our members has a 4-2-1 (not sure what make) + larini club sport + larini cat and it's the best noise I've ever heard out of an Elise.
User avatar
albutch
Visitor
Posts: 9585
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:43 pm
Car Details: Elise S2 111S and Excel SA
Location: Dunrobin
Contact:

PaulT wrote: Big money but lovely noise. One of our members has a 4-2-1 (not sure what make)
If you're talking about my car, its a Janspeed.


Martin (softlips), a bit more than that for an S2.
If it is still, take a photo of it. If it moves, take a photo of it.
User avatar
AlanS
Visitor
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:05 pm
Car Details: Evora
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

PaulT wrote: Big money but lovely noise. One of our members has a 4-2-1 (not sure what make) + larini club sport + larini cat and it's the best noise I've ever heard out of an Elise.
I had the full Larini system on my old S2 Elise including a decat. The noise was superb. You may recall however, that after last year's Abeville trip, I got rid as it was unbearable over any distance. :oldie
Regards,

Alan
Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest